Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sanctuary

After many years of working outdoors with the plant kingdom, I have a real need on a regular basis to breathe fresh air, touch something living, and hear the cadence of nature. Without that I start to feel like a caged animal. We have been very blessed in recent days with warmish winter sunshine, and I have gotten out on my walks again. Today was especially refreshing. I spent several hours at a nature preserve not far from home. I found incredible peace in the sound of the rustle of reed grass. I was able to study tree buds and seed pods and sit by a creek and listen to its gurgle. How grateful I am for this source of personal replenishment.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

I hear you. It's amazing to me what a difference it makes in all aspects of my life if I can get out in nature for a little bit.

Jane said...

That's lovely.