Wednesday, January 5, 2011

If I Only Had Six: Kitchen Tools

We live in a world of abundance ("for there is enough and to spare"). But let's just say I had to pick just six kitchen tools and make do. What would I pick?
  • Two-tier bamboo steamer: a recent discovery of mine that is very simple, efficient, and so easy to use AND clean. Steam meats and vegetables in 20 minutes or less in a healthy, non-labor intensive way. Rinse the layers when you are finished and let the bamboo air dry. Done. Easy as that.
  • Food processor: the quickest easiest way to do guacamole, pesto, hummus, homemade salad dressings, mince ginger, garlic, etc., etc. I have also used it to mix cookie dough and puree pumpkin. Throw in the ingredients, push the button, wah-la!
  • My super-duty red Rubbermaid spatula: I don't know what they do to it to make it so perfectly effective, but it does a better job than ANY spatula I have EVER owned. I can mix waffle batter, or bread dough, or pasta salad, or anything with this and then use it to scrape the bowl PERFECTLY clean. This particular tool certainly earns its name of "child cheater" because it doesn't leave even a morsel behind for little fingers to lurp up.
  • Good old fashioned non-stick 12" skillet: I probably use my skillet five times a week. In fact, half the time I just pick it up from the pile of hand washed dishes from last night because it doesn't even have time to get put away.
  • Measuring cups: When I cook I am usually a two glugs, season-to-taste kind of girl, but when I bake, it's a different story. I have had too many flops to do it otherwise. Hence, the measuring cups are essential. Dallin and I came into our marriage each with a set of nice metal measuring cups and there are times when I am on a baking spree that all eight cups are dirty.
  • Cutco knife: I have been spoiled right from the get-go. We are lucky enough to own a set of Cutco knives and there is no going back now! But since this is a minimalist's kitchen, I would pick just the "petite carver", a medium size serrated knife with multi-purpose slicing/chopping/dicing/mincing ability.

3 comments:

Jane said...

Tough call. I don't know if I could choose just six. And now I'm going to have to put a bamboo steamer on my Christmas list for next year.

Phat Fiddle said...

Excellent choices. I choose the ordinary spoon utensil. SPOOOOON! Oh, and the panini grill is not talking to you anymore...

Sara said...

Oooh -- this is just a great post. I might have to steal your idea and post about it myself! :)