Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Meet Amos

I have a small, but growing, collection of children's books; I find a certain magic in their combination of captivating story and charming illustrations. My dream list includes (amongst MANY things) the plan to write and/or illustrate a book for children in my lifetime. And, to keep fresh inspiration around me, I own several and peruse the public library and bookstores for gems I might someday like to own. It should come as no surprise, therefore, that I asked for a book or two (with a list of five or six as ideas) for Christmas. What was a surprise, however, was that Dallin got everything on my list, plus a handful more! I have too many favorites to name, but would like to review just one new favorite.
A Sick Day for Amos McGee, written by Phillip C. Stead and illustrated by Erin E. Stead, is new as of June 2010 (first edition). Without even cracking the cover I knew it would be good. It has that whimsical, endearing kind of quality even at first glance. Page one introduces our main character Amos McGee--just look at him! He is that perfect sort of rosy cheeked sprightly little grandpa-man that adores his grandchildren and still keeps his roses pruned and his front porch neatly swept. I feel like I could write a page worth of character sketch on him just by looking at his delicately sketched face.
The story follows Amos, the kind, old zookeeper who tends to each animal with utmost care providing personalized attention. For example, Amos lends his handkerchief to the rhinoceros (who always has a runny nose) and sits quietly with the penguin (who is very shy). Amos's kindness is rewarded by his animals friends who care just as much for him as he does for them.
The illustrations are very simple, echoing the simple, but completely fresh story idea. I love the minimalist, but bold primary colors used only on key characters or action. The artist, Erin Stead uses pencil and applies color using woodblock printing, which further enhances the home-spun, approachable quality.
Aside from the main story line, we have lovely little details and just a touch of artistic embellishment. For example, Amos has a teddy bear and a pet mouse that you are never introduced to, but who appear throughout the book. (Little children would love to point out all the mouse sightings!) A little mouse is seen waiting at a miniature bus stop as Amos trundles off to work. A rabbit rides the number 5 bus to work with Amos. A little bird tags along with the zoo animals and, incidentally, becomes friends with Amos's pet mouse.
I think it is charming. And, I find it great inspiration. Happy reading!

2 comments:

Jane said...

It sounds just adorable and those books are few and far between.
Have you met Harold and his purple crayon?

Phat Fiddle said...

I feel like I just watched another fabulous episode of Reading Rainbow. Genius!