Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Manna

I've been thinking about my current jobless state and my seeming inability to find employment, even after six months of trying. True, my skills and talents are somewhat specialized, but I have branched out in my search to quite a variety of job possibilities, and still nothing. Mostly I want to figure out the "what am I supposed to be learning from this?" question. No grand revelations, but I have some initial thoughts that have been comforting.
During my seven years in Georgia I made several job changes, sometimes to improve my situation, sometimes to pursue more school, sometimes to take advantage of an opportunity. In every circumstance--the shift from one job to another, or from job to school--the transition was absolutely seamless. I literally would quit a job on a Friday and start a new one on a Monday. Or I finished my time at school and had a job lined up and waiting for me. I was single, I had no family nearby, and I had a legitimate need to be able to support myself. The miracle though, is how well my Father in Heaven took care of me.
The best analogy I can liken it to is the children of Israel and their manna from heaven. I felt over and over again in my Georgia experience that manna was simply laid before me, freely given from a merciful Father, and I only had to choose to pick it up.
So many of my initial experiences and connections with people became important a few years down the road in other opportunities and experiences. For example, the skills I gained in my first job were incredibly valuable as the grounds supervisor at the temple. My relationship with the professors at Gwinnett Tech made a huge difference in my graduate school application to the University of Georgia. If I had not been in the Mountain Park single's branch with President Heaton, I think my history would have been much different, especially in regards to the opportunity to work at the temple.
Because of all these experiences I have great faith in the fact that we are given those things that we need, at the time, and in the manner we need them. I was given my manna, and it was always sufficient for my needs, and it was always so perfectly bestowed. The timing of the gift was always the miracle for me. I recognize gratefully, humbly that I have been supported and uplifted and helped, especially in my employment, in ways too numerous to name. And, consequently, I have faith and testimony that if there is ever a legitimate NEED to work, I will again be likewise blessed. It appears that now is not a time of need.
I have confidence in these beautiful words. They have been true for me, they are true for me now, and as the song teaches, they will, in the future continue to be true.
My shepherd will supply my need; Jehovah is his name;
In pastures fresh he makes me feed, beside the living stream...
The sure provisions of the my God attend me all my days;
May thy house be mine abode and all my work be praise!
There would I find a settled rest while others go and come,
No more a stranger, nor a guest, but like a child at home.

1 comments:

Jane said...

Another song comes to my mind when the subject of patience or knowing what to learn comes up:
"The waiting is the hardest part"
I always want to know how and why and when and faith is not about knowing those things always. I've got a long way to go.