Thursday, October 7, 2010

Mouse Musings

I found a dead mouse on the sidewalk near my apartment yesterday. My very first thought was, "I wonder what kind of mouse life he lived?" Mouse characters abound in children's literature and I immediately started an internal review of every such creature I could think of.
Perhaps he was a mouse like Gus or Jack in Disney's animated version of Cinderella who were all kindness and helpfulness to their trapped friend. Or a Stuart Little type who was on vacation from New York with his human family and tried to befriend the birds here--with sad consequence. I could imagine him as Despereaux from Kate DiCamillo's book with large ears and eyes wide open and courage enough to save a Princess Pea.
These little animal creatures are so appealing to little children because they can see themselves in the character; they relate to someone small and weak, someone with big ideas, but perhaps lacking in courage or strength.
My mind next turned to little children and then with gratitude to the many people of my acquaintance who teach or nurture them. My sister, for example, is in her second year of teaching fifth graders and puts her whole heart and soul into giving them the best possible education.
One of the women I visit teach in my new ward has a very heavy case load teaching elementary aged children with special needs (physical, emotional, and behavioral), and has a depth of passion and compassion for them that is truly humbling.
My friend Katie took a teaching job in a school 40 miles from home in a disadvantaged school working with children with learning disabilities because she hoped to make a difference.
Of course, I also thought of all my college roommates, most recently Heather, who are now mothers and doing such an amazing job at building the next generation.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Did you ever read Pippa Mouse? Now there is the cutest little mouse you will ever read about. I wore my copy out! :)
http://tinyurl.com/24yskwq

Jane said...

There are a lot of mice in the Disney world - I heard that Walt Disney didn't like cats and making them the villan made the mouse an easy hero - but I really like The Rescuers. "Pea soup."