Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Upward Ever Upward



We went on a hike that started in the Chautauqua Historic Park on the northern edge of Boulder. Our end destination was near the top of the mountains pictured below. The day was absolutely picturesque, which I am discovering, happens a lot here. I never expected a Colorado fall to be this fantastic, but I keep being surprised. We have had weather in the 70s and 80s for the entire month. At night it cools down to 35 or 40 so we are still getting the coldness required for good color.
These mountains are called the Flatirons and have very interesting steep-angled flat fronts that are immediately recognizable. The hike was only 3 miles and was marked in our guidebook as "moderate", but it gained considerable elevation in a short amount of time. We started at 5710' above sea level and went to 6950'. This low-lander with southern gills was huffing and puffing like a chain smoker, but I did it! Pictured above is the view from the mountain down to Boulder.The triumphant team after about 6600 steps and lots of climbing over rocks (they don't call this Boulder for nothing!). The "Royal Arch" is the entrance to the final ascent and the sort of gateway to completion of your journey. Hoorah!

1 comments:

Jane said...

I always feel like that when I visit the Rockies. I've lived 98% of my life at or very near sea level so the altitude kicks my butt every time. But it is gorgeous. No question.