Friday, October 8, 2010

The Power of Association

The 180th Semiannual General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was held last Saturday and Sunday. I love listening to the conference broadcast! I look forward to it for weeks in advance, but despite all the anticipation and preparation I always feel like I come with a one-gallon bucket to receive a veritable deluge of teaching and testimony. So, I play happy little sponge and absorb what I can in the moment.
One of the talks that made an immediate impression on me was Elder D. Todd Christofferson's talk, "Reflections on a Consecrated Life", which he
gave in the Saturday morning session. In particular, the idea of the power of association has made me ponder quite a bit. The ultimate association, of course, is with our Father in Heaven and His Son, Jesus Christ, as expressed in a quote by B.H. Roberts included in Elder Christofferson's remarks:
“The man who so walks in the light and wisdom and power of God, will at the last, by the very force of association, make the light and wisdom and power of God his own—weaving those bright rays into a chain divine, linking himself forever to God and God to him.”
In addition, Elder Christofferson notes the power of association here and now with our fellow men. He taught:
"A consecrated life is a beautiful thing...Of particular significance is the influence of a consecrated man or woman upon others, especially those closest and dearest. The consecration of many who have gone before us and others who live among us has helped lay the foundation for our happiness."
From The Book of Mormon we have the example of Amulek's association with Alma and the potent power of their missionary companionship. Surely the 40+ years of association with the brethren helped men like Gordon B. Hinckley and Thomas S. Monson more fully polish their characters to become Prophets of the church in these latter days.
My own life is so full of powerful and influential associations that it seems unfair to even make a list because I would inadvertantly leave someone of by accident. But, to bring this down to my life and station, I did want to site just one example. Several years ago I worked with a woman about my mom's age named Mollie. She and I became fast friends almost instantly. She adopted me as the daughter she never had. We talked about everything, including religion at great length. She grew up Catholic and was a modern-day saint. On her days off she went to the homeless shelter in downtown Atlanta and worked as a volunteer washing stranger's feet.
In time we talked about all the gospel principles, The Book of Mormon, temples, prophetic authority, and the plan of salvation. I bore my testimony to her on many occasions. She did more than just hear what I would say, she began to incorporate the faith that I expressed to her into the way she spoke to me. For example, I sometimes expressed my concerns about dating and my desire to find someone to marry. Without missing a beat she would say to me with complete conviction, "You know how to pray and you know how to receive answers. You have faith. Why are you worried?" On another occasion I was being hammered by my boss to work on Sundays. Week after week he would call me into his office to see if I would change my mind and just work this one Sunday. I always said no, but after so many confrontations I was beginning to waver a little in my resolution. Just before I was called in again to see my boss, Mollie pulled me aside and looked me straight in the eyes. With incredible fervor she said, "Don't you dare give in. You know the blessings that come from keeping the Sabbath day holy. Don't you dare let him sway you." With her words of courage I was able to tell my boss in no uncertain terms that I could not, nor would not ever work on Sunday, and then I told him why. He never bothered me again.
How grateful I am for Mollie and the power of her association. She taught me. She listened to me. She encouraged me. She had a wonderful way of praising my personal convictions. I know the power of a righteous influence and have been richly blessed because of this influence.

2 comments:

Boo said...

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing your insights on a wonderful Conference talk. Your friend Mollie sounds wonderful. I am glad she helped you stick by your guns.

Jane said...

Wasn't Conference just full of those kind of talks this time around? I like your analogy of the bucket. It's so accurate.