Tuesday, September 10, 2013

My Ezra Boy

When I was in the hospital after delivering Maren, I was surprised at how much I longed to see Ezra.  We had only been apart for one day, but I could hardly wait until he came for a visit with Grandma.  Grumpy toddler moments, notwithstanding, he is my darling boy, and I love being his mommy.  Two years with him has created an incredible bond, something that I have yet to feel with Maren.  He and I have had such wonderful times together!   

I struggle to find that Ezra-Maren attention balance, but books are still a mommy-Ezra favorite, so for right now, at every possible opportunity, we read together.  Reading books is even possible while nursing Maren, which is usually when he feels most in need of snuggling.

Ezra has been much more emotional lately.  He requests, "Hold you"  or "Carry you" constantly.  He also has had more social fears and separation anxiety.  Nursery, which used to be something he anticipated all week, is now a sobbing, death-grip-on-mommy, traumatic weekly event.

Daddy has been an angel during this time.  Ezra has bonded in significant ways with him, which is wonderful to see.  He and daddy have "piano lessons", bike rides, and couch snuggle time watching the news.  On weekends Dallin is a gem to let me sleep a bit more while he and Ezra get breakfast together.

Ezra continues to grow and develop.  He has an occasional interest in trying to go "tinkle".  He makes efforts to "do it by self" (brushing his own teeth, climbing in and out of his high chair, taking shoes off, washing hands, etc.)  He likes to pick out his own clothes, which usually means he wants to wear his burgundy race car shirt everyday, and no pants. 

Although it is very slow in coming, he is starting to make some small connections between his emotions and his behavior.  After I get hit for some provocation of one kind or another (ie, time to get out of the van), he will often say, almost immediately, "Bad choice.  No hit."  On other occasions, Ezra will hit me, and then say, "Mommy sad.  Sorry Mommy."  What a beautiful thing to see progress!

A few days ago my cheap fulfilled-their-useable-life sunglasses got broken by my exuberant toddler.  Ezra and Bear brought the broken sunglasses to me sheepishly.  "Glasses fragile," Ezra said.  "Bear kiss it," which Bear proceeded to do.  (No change in status of sunglasses).  "Bear hug it,"  which Bear also proceeded to do.  "All better," Ezra assured me, handing me the broken pieces.
                

1 comments:

Jane said...

Nice word for a two-year-old, 'fragile!'
The sibling thing will get better, especially when Maren starts bringing her cute friends home. :)