Saturday, September 14, 2013

One Month Old: Observations


  • Maren is a great eater.  She is probably approaching ten pounds already.  Hence, the chubby cheek smirk pictured here.  She likes to do feeding frenzies, though, feeding off and on in snack-size portions for three to four hour stints that sort of drives me crazy.  
  • Her hair is naturally poofy and wavy.  A lady at church asked me if I put product in it--hah!  This low-maintenance momma doesn't even own a bottle of hairspray.  Maren's hair started out black, with some lighter highlights, and has already lightened significantly.  I think she will be a blonde like big brother.  
  •   The pediatrician noted that she is likely to be a chatty Cathy based on her variety and quantity of noises: cooing, grunting, whistling, sighing, squeaking, singing, etc.  Big brother is highly verbal, so she is exposed to a lot.  
  • She loves faces, as I am sure most babies do.  She will quiet almost instantly if she sees a face.  Maren has also started to track my movement with her eyes, following me as I move or turn.  I imagine that means her vision is improving.  
  • She has already started to smile!  Her smiles are brief and usually so quick I don't have time to grab a camera.  Ezra was smiling consistently by 1.5 months, so I am sure I will get a picture soon.  She is also right on the verge of having baby talk conversations.  She gets this look on her face like she has something to say, and wants to say it, if she could only get her mouth to cooperate.
  • We transitioned from sink-side washcloth baths to baby tub baths to her great relief.  The washcloth baths were some strange sort of baby torture that made her scream from beginning to end.  She loves the tub and seems very relaxed during her little spa treatment.
  • Lately she wants to feed every 2 hours all through the night.  She usually wakes up from her morning nap around 2 pm, right when Ezra is going down for a nap.  (So I usually don't get a nap).  My sleep patterns are all wacky, but somehow my body is adjusting.
  • She's a beauty.  We are so grateful for Maren in our family. 

2 comments:

Ruth said...

She's darling.
I love how much she looks like you.

Jane said...

I don't know...she looks an awful lot like you - maybe her hair will be red!!