Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Late Night Blessings

Ezra is sick (again).  The nasty viral infection that started before Maren was born finally dwindled down to almost nothing for about four days, and has resurfaced with a vengeance.  He coughed most of the night last night.  Sometime around midnight I went in with some water.  Ezra was sitting cross-legged in the crib rubbing Bear's back methodically. 

In between coughing spells he requested "songs."  I started with "I Am a Child of God", which he asked me to sing six times over.  Sometime in the middle of "I'm Trying to Be Like Jesus" Ezra quietly said, "Jesus loves Ezra."  Of course he does!  How easy it is to forget such a beautiful, simple truth.  Oh the faith of little children! 

Daddy came in and gave Ezra a blessing.  I told Ezra to hold still so Daddy could put hands on head, like Jesus.  "Hands on head," he said smiling, touching his head.  He folded his arms and sat perfectly still through the entire thing.  We talked and snuggled some more, and finally all went back to bed an hour later.

Angels attended to Maren while we were occupied with Ezra.  Normally, she should have been awake and needing a feeding at the same time.  Last night, however, she slept three hours longer than usual, and when she did wake up, she fed efficiently and fell back to sleep almost immediately.  Tender mercies.  I am counting my blessings; any bit of extra sleep is indeed a tender mercy.           

1 comments:

Jane said...

Sleep! Such a blessing we do not understand when we are small for sure.
Hopefully Ezra feels better soon.