Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Courage

Last year I made a Gospel ABC book for Ezra.  On the "C is for Courage" page, I chose to use this painting of Abinadi before wicked King Noah.  Ezra likes to look at the "courage" page and talk about this special man.  As I have simplified the message of Abinadi to the level of a toddler, its message has touched me more deeply.

We don't know much about Abinadi as recorded in The Book of Mormon.  His life and mission comprise just a few short chapters.  He receives a special assignment to cry repentance to a sinful people.  He reminds them of the commandments of God, specifically the Ten Commandments that Moses received on Mount Sinai.  He bears witness of Jesus Christ in powerful, vibrant words of pure testimony.  His message is almost wholeheartedly rejected.    He is condemned to death by fire for his convictions.

I am impressed by Abinadi's willingness, even when his life is at stake, to fulfill his duty, and hold his ground.  King Noah offers to release Abinadi if he will recall all the words he taught.  Abinadi courageously responds:

 "I say unto you, I will not recall the words which I have spoken unto you concerning this people, for they are true; and that ye may know of their surety I have suffered myself that I have fallen into your hands.
Yea, and I will suffer even until death, and I will not recall my words, and they shall stand as a testimony against you. And if ye slay me ye will shed innocent blood, and this shall also stand as a testimony against you at the last day" (Mosiah 17:9-10).

Abinadi must have thought his mission was a failure.  He probably did not realize that the one man who believed his words, Alma, a priest in King Noah's court, would write down all of Abinadi's words.  This same Alma would later repent of his sins, and begin to teach Abinadi's words to anyone who would listen.  Miraculously, Abinadi's single convert helped to bring about 450 people to the gospel of Jesus Christ.  And, he also changed the rest of the history of The Book of Mormon

Abinadi's example encourages me to remember these words from the Doctrine & Covenants, "Shall we not go on in so great a cause?  Go forward and not backward.  Courage...and on, on to the victory!"  I hope that I can, and that I will. 

0 comments: