Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A Good Beginning

In an effort to introduce some more creativity into my culinary efforts, I have tried a new dinner recipe for the last fourteen nights (minus our vacation).  Some of the recipes have turned out better than others, but it has been a fun experiment.  My project is not done; I am still on the look-out for fresh ideas, and intend to continue for the foreseeable future.   

For a number of reasons, I am also currently interested in adding vegetarian meals to the mix.  My experience with anything vegetarian is almost nil; my understanding of a vegetarian diet doesn't go much beyond beans and tofu.  So, I consulted the expertise of several friends and was given (amongst others) two recommendations.  First, a comprehensive 996-page behemoth of a book, How to Cook Everything Vegetarian, by Mark Bittman.  Second, an award-winning food blog authored by Heidi Swanson called 101 Cookbooks that features an encyclopedic collection of flavorful vegetarian meals using only whole, natural foods.

Needless to say, I was (am) intimidated, but not turned off.  I determined to start with my go-to food and start nibbling away.  Quinoa is one of my favorites (Dallin and Ezra feel the same way), and as a complete protein, and one of the healthiest grains on the market, I figured it was a good beginning point.

Naturally, I found a plethora of quinoa creations, but began with this one from the food blog: baked quinoa patties.  They were delectable--soft and chewy, fresh, and flavorful.  I put our kitchen garden to good use too, as the recipe calls for fresh chives, dill, and kale.  The cumin and feta were perfect companions to all the fresh greens.  I also tried the ultimate veggie burger the same night, which has a garbanzo bean base and lots of fresh lemon zest.

Next on my list, Mark Bittman's vegan lunch, (Indian style): rice salad, red lentils with Chaat Masala, and Chapati flatbread.  Yum!   

0 comments: