Friday, July 20, 2012

Hoping for Ice Cream

I have this illusive dream of being a great writer.  Unfortunately, like most of my (many) hobbies, they are shelved for long periods of time, pulled out for occasional dabbles, and then re-shelved.

Recently, I dusted off the creative writer box, thanks to a new friend and kindred spirit who just moved to the area.  The bad news: she and her family are just here for the summer.  The good news: she has a masters in English, and loves creative non-fiction writing like me.  In fact, she teaches an independent study course through BYU on the subject.  Just talking to her gets me excited about words, the creative process, and self-expression.  We bounce ideas off each other, in between flying Cheerios, tike bike rides, and toy-sharing squabbles.  (She has two boys under 3, who adore Ezra; Ezra returns the love).

Anyway, I am reading and brainstorming, pulling out old rough drafts, and trying to cultivate all those good writer qualities like introspection, and fluidity, and curiosity.  In my writing revival I stumbled upon this great quote:

"I love revisions.  Where else in life can spilled milk be transformed into ice cream" --Katherine Patterson

There's my new goal: good editing = ice cream.  Can I take that literally?

0 comments: