Thursday, June 28, 2012

Autonomy: Exercise 1

In the last week or so mealtime had turned into a fight between Ezra and me.  Ezra didn't want what I feed him, and hollering was his modus operandi.  The problem, though, was with me; I wasn't understanding his communication.

He isn't a little bird anymore.  Pureed foods on a spoon is old hat.  Ezra wants his independence.  He wants control over some part of his world, and meal time is at the top of his list.  I have caught unto his message, and baby and mommy have made peace again with food.

Ezra has three teeth (and another on the way) and he craves opportunity to use them.  Ezra is perfecting his thumb-pointer finger grasp, and he needs essential practice time to develop this new skill.  Now, instead of pureed foods, he eats baby bites of the whole food.  I put things like blueberries, watermelon, pears, cheese bits, cooked peas and carrots on his tray, and he feeds himself at his own pace.    

0 comments: