Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Babies Don't Keep

For many years in my parent's bedroom hung a 1970s vintage needlepoint with a mother rocking a baby and the following poem:

Cleaning and scrubbing can wait 'til tomorrow,
for babies grow up we've learned to our sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby, and babies don't keep.

When I was younger I thought it was quaint, a nice cadence, a pleasant little rhyme. Now I realize how surprisingly true it is.

My little Ezra certainly isn't a newborn anymore. He already has differentiated his cries, and explores his vocal chords daily with new sounds. His response to visual stimuli is impressive. For example, when he sits in his bouncy chair, his eyes follow me all around the room, often craning his neck to see where I am and what I am doing.

In like manner, his response to audio stimuli has improved. Dallin recently performed on violin at a cultural event at our church. Ezra was very alert during the evening and was obviously hearing the different musical performances. When Dallin got up to play there was a heightened attentiveness. Ezra seemed to recognize the music and was especially aware of the sounds. A couple from our ward sitting nearby noticed and commented on the special response to Dallin's playing, as well.

Ezra's first few bath experiences caused panic and terror. He would scream beet-faced before, during, and afterward. A few days ago he had his first positive experience to the bath and realized that it could actually be fairly pleasant. Today I gave him a bath again. As I turned on the water and undressed him, he got a big grin on his face, recognizing (it would seem) that what was coming was a happy thing.

Before Ezra came, I spent a good deal of time "cleaning and scrubbing." I have to admit, I rather like housecleaning. I find a certain degree of satisfaction in Lysol-ed, squeaky clean, and sparkly. Lately, though I choose to spend the great bulk of my day on walks with Ezra, talking to Ezra, bathing Ezra, reading books to Ezra, listening to music with Ezra, feeding Ezra, changing Ezra, and loving Ezra. Let the house go to pot when there is such an adorable boy to keep me company during the day.

2 comments:

Jane said...

My mom had that verse too. It wasn't until I went looking for it when Solei was born that I discovered it has seven other verses too. None so cute as the last of course.

CL said...

Such a sweet little boy! Don't worry, in no time he'll help with the house going to pot :)