Sunday, November 29, 2009

A Cornucopia of Blessings

Cornucopia comes from the Latin words cornu and copiae and literally means "horn of plenty." It is often represented in still life paintings as a horn overflowing with fruits, flowers, and grain. The dictionary also defines it as "an overflowing fullness; abundance." This weekend my cornucopia was filled with blessings and many good people.
I am grateful for time. I am grateful for time and opportunity to be with these good people. I am grateful for my friend Katie who made time in her life to come and pick me up from Athens. I am grateful that she loves me enough to sit for two hours in Atlanta traffic trying to get on the highway to come get me. I am grateful we could make time to visit my former bishop's wife. I am grateful for the time to be in her home, time to go out to dinner with her and her husband, time to catch up, time to observe, time to look forward to "the best yet to be." I am grateful to see what time and consistency in the gospel can do in the development of talents, and character, and a marriage. I am grateful that in my Georgia time I have been given time to know her.
I am grateful for time in the kitchen of a truly determined and talented mother. Katie's mother organized and orchestrated a truly magnanimous Thanksgiving feast. I am grateful for the time she took to teach me about needed culinary skills. I am grateful to see the time she takes to make her family happy. I am grateful for time with Katie and laughing until it hurts. I am grateful for time to be heard and to talk. I am grateful for a friend who enjoys things I do, like going to the High Museum of Art. I am grateful for a friend who takes the time to notice interesting quotes on the wall and wants to discuss them, or who sees opportunity for intellectual stimulation in a set of postcards about what defines a "genius".
I am grateful for time with younger married friends. I am grateful for time with their new baby. I am grateful for their enthusiasm and genuine interest in the details of my life. I am grateful for their example of support to one another. I am grateful for time in the home of a truly service-oriented wife and mother. I am grateful for a second Thanksgiving, Japanese style. I am grateful for time to know their friends. I am grateful for this time to be alive. I am grateful for this time that is mine to use well.

1 comments:

Jane said...

I love that you live in Athens. That's so cool.