Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Solo Flight

Last month my sister Lauren left for a teach-English program in Ukraine.  Yesterday, my sister Kristen left for her own teach-English program in China.  I couldn't be prouder of them.  Their solo flight adventuring will be so enriching for them both.  The program requires that they jump into a classroom with little (if any!) formal training and prepare daily English-language lesson plans for elementary-age children five days a week.  It is a culture shock and steep-learning curve, but somehow it is done--with a lot of soul-searching and earnest preparation, no doubt. 

My own solo flight, though considerably more tame, made me the person that I am.  There is something about being out on your own that finishes off the training of good parents.  My maturity in all aspects improved after I had time to learn, make mistakes, and experience more of the world by myself.

I see the wisdom in our Heavenly Father's plan to allow us to leave the pre-mortal life for an earth life experience.  Life on earth is all about growing, learning, teaching, and choosing the good part.  Agency is an incredible gift!  I know that I had opportunity to grow and develop in the pre-mortal life, but earth life is like the solo flight--the expanded opportunity to prove ourselves.

The genius of the Father's plan is that despite our needful solo flight on earth, we are never left completely alone.  Even as we struggle to learn and improve, we have access to prayer, inspiration from the Holy Ghost, priesthood blessings, the words of the scriptures and living prophets, and the power of the Atonement.  As we use our agency to access these divine gifts, our opportunities for suceess on earth are maximized.             

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would tell my children that you can make cookie dough 'till the cows come home but if you don't go to the effort of BAKING the cookies, you'll never enjoy the real joy that cookie dough was intended for.
The 'baking' can be a bear! But if we endure it well, oh what indescribable joy...plus a firm foundation of knowledge and experience. Few things teach one more about the lifting, redeeming power of the Atonement of Christ like the 'baking'.

Jane said...

What prompted the desire to teach English all over the world in your family?