Friday, March 1, 2013

More Words, Please

For better or for worse, Ezra has learned that dreaded two-letter toddler favorite..."no!"  After his bath yesterday he was giggling wildly and repeating over and over "oh no! (giggle) "no, no!" (giggle) "no! oh no!"  I have done my best to not use that word, and instead re-direct his attention with a positive word instead, but he learned it, in spite of my efforts!

We have also been practicing "please" and "thank you"--aided by a great series of board books specifically designed to teach manners (Penguin Says Please, Mouse Says Sorry, Polar Bear Says Thank You, etc).  He seems to understand the context of both please and thank you.  For example, during a recent visit to the library, the librarian gave Ezra a stamp on his hand.  I prompted him to say thank you, and he did!  He version sounds like "dink you".  The word please has made quite an impression, and he uses it often without any prompting.  For example, he may ask for something by saying "more" (more books, more songs, more strawberries...) and if that doesn't work, he will look at me earnestly and say "please" (his version sounds like "pease".)  It completely melts my softie heart.  Who could help but respond?  And so we read five more books and sing ten more songs.

Ezra and I have conversations about the baby in my tummy.  He is very keen to the baby now.  If I rub my tummy, even just a little, he calls out, "Baby, baby!"  Lately, he wants to read books that highlight babies, so we have been reading a lot of Peter and the Troll Baby, The Rainbabies, and Freckleface Strawberry.

Speaking of baby, last week I started feeling flutters of baby movement.  This week I am getting full-on karate kicks, usually on my left side.  For such a little person (about 5 ounces) I am impressed by the strength behind the kicking!  Hello future soccer player!  And, in other good news, I am finally coming out from under the nausea cloud.  I have mostly good days now, aside from being constantly hungry and sleepy.  Hoorah!          

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember a sister in Relief Society telling us how she buffered the word "no" with the more compelling word, "stop"; which she used to impress on her child the need for immediate obedience in moments of danger so as to insure the safety of her child.

Jane said...

There's nothing wrong with the word "no" as long as it is used correctly...certainly one thing they teach us as women is use of the word.

Ruth said...

I'm glad you're feeling better. :) Hope you continue to get strength back and can keep going.
I love all the cute things from Ezra. The story of please is especially darling; I could never say no to that.

Unknown said...

Liezel, I am rip-roarin' jealous of your lovely book selection. I wish that I had those books in my classroom to teach in my classroom with. It must be amazingly gratifying to see Ezra learning and understanding under your tutelage. Love the Lu :)