Sunday, October 28, 2012

Precious Doctrine

Yesterday morning I had a discussion with two gentleman of another Christian faith that focused mostly on the nature of the Godhead.  While we both shared a belief in the Bible, I recognized how much precious knowledge they lacked because of errors or deletions in the translation of that book of scripture.  I feel so much gratitude for the understanding that I have of such a simple and fundamental gospel doctrine.  I feel so much gratitude for the Bible and The Book of Mormon.  I feel so much gratitude for Biblical Prophets and living Prophets in our day.  These additional sources of inspiration found in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints give me clarity of understanding in the true nature of the Godhead.

During our conversation these obviously devoted, God-fearing men were puzzled when I used the word "Savior."  They did not understand the meaning of the word or understand to whom I was referring.  When I use the word Savior, I am referring to Jesus Christ, who is, our Savior and Redeemer from death and hell.  His infinite Atonement offers salvation to all men, women, and children who have ever lived on the earth.  Truly, there is no other way to overcome the effects of sin and return to presence of our Father in Heaven except through "the merits, and mercy and grace of the Holy Messiah, who layeth down his life" (2 Nephi 2:8).

God the Father, is the Father of my spirit, and so I am, quite literally, a child of God.  He is a perfect, loving, forgiving, merciful Father who hears and answers my prayers.  I pray to my Father in Heaven, in the name of His Son, Jesus Christ, and I know I am heard.  The Father and the Son are separate, distinct beings with bodies of flesh and bones, as tangible as my own.  And yet, they are completely unified in purpose; their collective work and glory is the immortality and eternal life of all their children.  They are resurrected, glorified beings who delight in honoring their children for their obedience.      

The Holy Ghost, the third member of the Godhead, is a personage of Spirit.  The Holy Ghost witnesses of the Father and the Son, testifying, in a still, small voice to the heart of any earnest seeker of truth.  The Holy Ghost can teach, bring to remembrance, warn, comfort, and strengthen.  Those who receive the gift of Holy Ghost following baptism by the laying on of hands, are entitled to the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost according to their faithfulness. 

These simple truths are precious to me.  I feel confidence in my purpose here on the earth, knowing that I am a child of God who can pray.  I feel immense comfort knowing that because of Jesus Christ and His Atonement, my sins can be forgiven, my weaknesses can be made strong, and all unfairness in life can be made right.  I feel gratitude for the reassuring voice of the Spirit helping me to keep the faith and recognize truth. 

1 comments:

Jane said...

Where do you find the time and the people for these discussions?
New once have I just wandered in to a situation where a talk like this would come out.