Thursday, November 1, 2012

Called to Serve

Last Sunday I was set apart as a Sunday School teacher for the youth ages 14-15.  I have never had a calling with the youth, but I am so excited for the opportunity!  Starting in January, the curriculum for the youth will be completely new.  The curriculum is called "Come, Follow Me", and is modeled after the way the Savior taught.  There is no prescribed lesson manual, there is, instead, topics for discussion, and doctrinal questions arranged into monthly units.  The teacher must now rely much more on the Spirit.  The youth are invited to participate and help teach and bear testimony.  From my observations, this new youth curriculum is to the youth of the church as Preach My Gospel is to missionary work.  Simply put--the Spirit is the key.  My lesson preparations must allow for teacher-student conversations that allow the Spirit to teach.  It is a humbling mandate, but such a thrilling challenge!

This short video introduces the new curriculum to newly called teachers.  I get teary-eyed every time I watch it.  My goal is to help the youth become converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ.

 

0 comments: