Thursday, October 25, 2012

When I Least Expected It

I was asked to be on our church's Halloween trunk-or-treat committee, and preparations for the party have hijacked my week.  The party is tomorrow--thankfully, and it should be nippy, but fun for all.  We have six different kid activities planned, a smorgasbord of homemade goodies, plus trunk-or-treating.

At the last minute, I was tasked with creating nine Halloween-themed table centerpieces with a budget of $15 (spending less than that was also desirable).  Thanks to a magazine idea and some frugal creativity I did it for $11.68.  Not bad says I, not bad.

Earlier in the week, I was out hunting for 40 tiny pumpkins for the decorate-your-own-pumpkin activity.  I discovered a pumpkin patch not far from home and found exactly what I needed.  The pumpkin patch manager and I were chatting a little, and he asked my son's name.  When I replied, he was quiet for a moment, and then responded, "The only other Ezra I have ever known was the Secretary of Agriculture when I was kid, and his name was Ezra Taft Benson."   

Hah!  What are the chances!  Hello open door!  So, I walked in and we had a brief, but concentrated talk about what Ezra Taft Benson did later in life; namely, as a servant of God and the Prophet and President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  I was hunting pumpkins and had a gospel discussion--what a good day!  Three cheers for being a committee member!    

1 comments:

Sara said...

But what were your center-pieces??? I want to know what you ended up creating for 11 dollars and some change!

:)