Monday, April 4, 2011

An Aunt and Uncle Weekend

This past weekend was the annual General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I look forward to this time every year because I love to hear from the leadership of the Church and gain instruction on the things that matter most. This April conference was another miracle as some of my personal needs were met through the words of the Prophets and Apostles called by God. I know that revelation continues!
This weekend was also a unique chance to spend time with my sister-in-law and her two children visiting from Wisconsin. Other than some brief encounters during our wedding last year and talks on Skype, I have not been around this niece (4 years) and nephew (19 months) at all. Dallin and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We played in the park, blew bubbles, had piano concerts, and snuggled. My niece is a doll and so loving, talkative, inventive, and talented. My nephew is a whirlwind, a blue-eyed charmer, so contented, and also very loving. We had hours of fun and play, and a few precious moments, like when my nephew began to understand how to fold his arms for prayer time. He was also intensely interested whenever the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sang a number during the conference.
On the way back home Dallin and I realized that we had just seen the next five years of our life. And then we realized that we had just seen the next five years of our life! There is no doubt that the stage of life we are about to enter has its unique challenges and that parenting is demanding and exhausting, but at the same time so rewarding. I look forward to beginning the adventure.

1 comments:

Jane said...

Remember that every child and every family is different, so your baby will be more like you and Dallin and less like your niece a nephew. I'm predicting lots of observing before they jump off couches and tree branches.