Thursday, March 31, 2011

Minus the Drama

It has taken me some time to appreciate Colorado horticulture. Spring has arrived here, but only tentatively so. I suppose I had become accustomed to the whiz-bang circus performance of a Georgia spring that this tiptoe-in-with-satin-slippers approach has been a little disappointing. Georgia, on the other hand, reminds me of an impetuous child who wants it all now; it is a true spring fling. In less than two weeks the landscape can become a bonanza of color and fragrance. It is a plant lover's paradise, and a pollen-allergy nightmare.
Colorado seems to approach the whole season with guarded grace, showing measured restraint, and demanding patience. There are few "stop-the-car" moments to admire some blooming tree or shrub; we have instead subtle color palette transitions. So, I am learning to slow down a little more, to savor spring in stages, and appreciate the signs of renewal and awakening that do exist. Besides, this is Colorado and there is no reason to rush in headlong; it will probably snow in April.


What is leafing out right now? Willow, Lilac, Crabapple, Hawthorn

What is blooming right now? Crocus, Daffodil, Aspen, Birch, Red Maple, Forsythia

2 comments:

CL said...

hmmm,just wait for April/ May and maybe there will be more bang. I don't want it to snow in April- we are coming to visit! brrrrrrrrrrr

Jane said...

I can not speak to that. There have been two climates in my life. The Jungle and The Frozen North. One is all snow and one has none. It's weird.