Tuesday, August 17, 2010

You told me so

When I would sit obstinately on the piano bench as a little girl arms crossed over my chest, crocodile tears running down my frustrated, scowly face, my mom would say,
"You'll wish you had practiced when you get older."
"You'll wish you could play the piano sometime later in life."

She was right.

I do and I have for several years. Age and maturity have prompted that desire. Hearing my sisters play, (very well!) in over-the-phone piano concerts have intensified that desire. Now add to that the fact that I am married to a musician, and have public school music educators for in-laws!

The good news is, I still have time; and it seems that my opportune time is now. The other good news is, I can pick my own music. No offense to those beginner tunes with ridiculous names like "Quiet Thoughts", "Sun on the Snow", or "Curious Cat", but I never really got into them. Sorry to say I never really felt that burning urge to perfect my little ditty called "String Beans." I am more inclined to pick something far above my playing ability and allow sheer tenacity to rule while I sit for three hours straight trying to hash it out. If I really want to learn a certain piece, I will. Be patient with me, it could be a month or two, but if I really want to, I can. No major progress yet, but I have a song or two under my belt and a few more in the works.

And, Mom, you were right.
You are always right.

1 comments:

Jane said...

The lessons you took as a child will give you a fair foundation for learning now. I'm excited to hear you play!
As for the in-laws, I feel a little inadequate at family gatherings because I don't have musical talent and don't speak the shorthand but it doesn't keep me from enjoying the music.