Thursday, January 1, 2009

Oh Christmas stool, oh Christmas stool...

Before you think me stranglely crass, I speak of stool as in Webster's first definition: "a seat usually without back or arms supported by three or four legs or by a central pedestal."
This is my way of being being festive, innovative, and cheap all at once. Every year I decorate my bar stool with lights and ornaments in lieu of buying tree that will be enjoyed for only a few weeks before I go home to visit my family.
In our family we have a tradition of receiving a new Christmas ornament (or two) every year. So, by the time each child leaves home they have a collection of twenty or so that continues to grow with each passing year. Most of the ornaments are handmade by mom, or are a combination effort by dad and mom (dad cuts out the wood, mom paints it).
It would be a shame not to display these treasures and my rather silly solution is a Christmas stool. If nothing else, it gives me a happy heart to come home to during the Christmas season.

1 comments:

Jane said...

Hee hee, makes me think of our first Christmas "tree" which was a string of lights held on the wall with push pins and our decorations pinned inside the outline.