Sunday, January 4, 2009

So Anxious to Bless

I arrived back in Atlanta yesterday evening and went out to the airport parking lot to my car and found it completely dead. No clicking, no lights, no beeping...nothing. So, I popped the trunk, pulled out my jumper cables (thanks Dad!), said a prayer, opened the hood to the car and determined to flag down the next passerby to get a jump. As I stood there in the gathering darkness and thick fog that was blanketing the city, I came to a beautiful realization. There was literally nothing I alone could do that would help my car to start. No amount of mechanical prowess or physical or mental exertion would rejuvenate my dead battery. Even though I had the necessary tools (jumper cables and my car keys) I had to have another person's help. The key to being able to start up my car and move from the spot I then occupied was in the hands of someone else.
A spiritual parallel seemed so apparent to me as I stood waiting. I have needs--every day--that I am incapable of meeting. Without the intervention of my Father in Heaven and the Atonement of Jesus Christ, I will continue to stand and wait, unable to move beyond my present circumstance. I can wish and hope and try and exert effort and demonstrate dogged determination and overwhelming optimism, but ultimately, I can only be truly enabled when He is allowed into my life.
Someone did indeed stop and offered a simple, but for me, great service. I was surprised at how easily the car went from completely dead, to charged. The electrical current rejuvenated my battery instantly and I went from troubled and a little anxious to incredibly grateful. Again, I was reminded of the spiritual implications of such a simple act. In the Book of Mormon, Amulek teaches a people who are becoming humble in these words: "Yea, and I would that ye would come forth and harden not your hearts any longer; for behold, now is the time and the day of your salvation; and therefore, if ye will repent and harden not your hearts, IMMEDIATELY shall the great plan of redemption be brought about unto you" (Alma 34:31). I was taught by this small and simple moment in my life of the IMMEDIACY of the Atonement. I am so grateful.

3 comments:

Ruth said...

Hooray for you being back! I've missed hearing about your goings on.
Sounds like it was a fun Christmas at home. That's wonderful! I know how much you look forward to going home.
Deanna (my friend now in Savannah) went to Atlanta during the holidays-the aquarium, the temple, etc. Seeing her pictures brought back lots of good memories. :)

Mae said...

I've always loved your spiritual thoughts! Thank you for sharing. They are so refreshing and even simple, so easy to understand and apply. I love you for it! I can still remember some of the thoughts you would post on the batheroom mirror in Regency. That is how much they affected me. Thank you!

Jane said...

That is beautiful. And true. And so simple.