Thursday, January 1, 2009

...Like Nobody is Watching

Perhaps as a hang-over from high school band days, one of my favorite "in the privacy of my apartment and nobody is watching" activities is pretending I am the conductor of a symphony. Nerdy?--yes, I believe that fact has long been established. Sometimes the music of choice is Aaron Copeland's "Appalachian Spring" or "Fanfare to the Common Man". Other times it is Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture" or Maurice Ravel's "Bolero". Most of the time, though, it is Handel's Messiah--the entire thing. I have gotten to the point now, that when I read the scriptures in Isaiah and elsewhere, I hear the melody of the piece as I read. Recently, I went through the entire oratorio and marked every scripture reference that each section is based on, and it was quite the musical experience.
"O thou that tellest good tidings to Zion..."
"Glory to God..."
"He shall feed his flock like a shepherd..."
"Lift up your heads, O ye gates..."
"Hallelujah..."
"But thanks be to God..."
"Worthy is the Lamb..."

2 comments:

Phat Fiddle said...

Hello Liezel,

My name is Dallin Kuzmich, Reva Paget's brother, and I just had to comment how amusing it was to read of your concealed conducting talents. I too am no stranger to the concert hall within the confines of my room. Fabulous music selection, especially the Messiah!

Jane said...

I have to conduct the "1812 Overture" too, even if there are other people around. Too many good cymbal crashes and cannon booms to not.