Sunday, November 30, 2014

Three Kernels

So, despite the fact that I love to write, I am not a blog-everyday-of-November blogger like my dedicated sister-in-laws.  (Kudos to them!)  But, I do want to close November with thanksgiving; I feel so richly blessed.   Here are my "three kernels" for 2014:
  • I am thankful for personal revelation.  Raising children in light and truth is a challenge in a confusing world, and I need help.  I believe in a loving Heavenly Father who cares deeply, intimately, and completely for each of His children.  I know He wants to inspire me to do my best so I and my children can all be happier.  What a blessing--the heavens are not closed.
  • I am thankful for the Atonement.  I am thankful for repentance and forgiveness.  When my patience wears thin, when I say something I wish I hadn't, when I get selfish, moody, and prideful, I am so grateful that I am not permanently stained.  I can try again!  The Atonement helps bad become good and good become better.  What a precious gift.
  • I am thankful for my family.  I was single for a longer time than most, and spent a lot of that time far from family too.  I know what loneliness feels like, and I know what it means to really ache for righteous desires that are not always forthcoming.  My beautiful family fills all those empty voids with happiness, energy, and purpose.  Dallin, Ezra, and Maren mean everything to me.  I love their company, I love their conversations.  My favorite moments are spending quality time with my sweetheart, or reading books with Ezra, or jabbering with Maren.  My best memories are made on family outings.  Being together at home is time well spent.
And, because three is a small number, a few other kernels of thanks:
  • I am thankful for cameras to help me preserve the faces of my favorite people.
  • I am thankful for my ancestors.  I have been studying their faces and stories these past few weeks, and I am impressed by their faith, fortitude, and courage.  I feel more motivated to stay true when I think of them.
  • I am thankful for the temple.  Now that Maren is a little older, Dallin and I have started attending the temple together again.  I crave the peace and truth that I feel in the temple.  It keeps me grounded to go often.
  • I am thankful for warm days in winter.  I put up our outdoor Christmas lights yesterday in bare feet and a short sleeve shirt.  I'll take it!
  • I am thankful for music.  I love singing Primary songs with my kids.  I love impromptu dance parties chasing, running, and giggling to peppy pop songs.  I love hearing Dallin do an Irish jig on his fiddle.  Good music gives me a happy heart.   

1 comments:

Jane said...

What a lovely list!
I agree with it all.