Tuesday, August 20, 2013

This Season

Yes, I am still here.

The last month has been an interesting season of life, and I must acknowledge the many, many helpers in the process.  My mom is at the top of the thank you list.  She was grunt laborer, chief engineer, home improvement extraordinaire, and Energizer Bunny all in one.  We could not be where we are without her help.  My sister Emily was amazing too; she has some serious girl power, and has more tenacity and work ethic than most teenagers I know.  My dad, my brother Aaron, and my in-laws have also stepped in with much needed support and assistance in our transition.  

In the last month or so we closed on our first house, gutted much of the main floor and upstairs and dealt with two weeks of contractor improvements.  Amid all the dust, grime, smells, and clutter, we slowly restored the house to move-in ready, and packed and loaded our rented moving truck.  We moved in, and slowly unpacked and organized an entire house worth of stuff.  After at least twenty trips to Lowe's/Home Depot, a lot of elbow grease, and too many late nights, we finally started to feel at home in our new place. 

After a few quiet days of bliss in our new home, all three of us came down with a nasty viral infection (did I mention I am still pregnant at this point?)  I pulled out every home remedy/safe-for-pregnancy concoction I could come up with, and after five days of misery, started to feel better.  The very next day, I went into labor.  Isn't Heavenly Father's timing amazing?  I never wanted to be twelve days overdue, but those extra days meant a house in good order, and a body strong enough to fight a nasty infection, not to mention energy enough to bring a baby into the world. 

We are home now (what an amazing thing that is!) and transitioning again.  Ezra is processing, still fighting a lingering, aggressive cough and ear infection, and trying to understand the implications of new baby.  Dallin has had a resurgence of his infection and feels worse instead of better.  He has been super-dad and Ezra entertainment since we left the hospital.  I am blurry-eyed, sleep deprived, and awestruck.  Our family feels more complete with Maren's arrival; somehow she fills an empty spot that I didn't realize existed.  Her needs are simple to fulfill, and despite being exhausted, it gives me joy to be in this newborn phase again, and bond with her little spirit.

And so, we carry on, one day at a time in this new season.       

2 comments:

Jane said...

Whoa! Holy smokes! Poor thing! and Congratulations!
Quite a month for you. I'm glad you made it through and best of health to everyone!

Ruth said...

I love you! So, so love you.