Thursday, November 8, 2012

Growing Up

Yesterday Ezra and I went to the children's garden at our local botanic garden.  They have a nice set-up with paved walking paths, boardwalks, small drawbridges, activity centers, exploring zones, and interesting plant material.
There were about twenty other kids around, so like a good protective mommy of my little tike, I tried to take Ezra's hand and guide him safely to the boardwalk.  He would have none of that; big boys don't need to hold mom's hand.  I think I looked very much like first-time mom hovering nearby, cautious and perhaps a bit too apprehensive.  All the other moms seemed to have this relaxed, healthy-distance-casual-observance stance.  I suppose I am still adjusting to my little guy becoming not so little.  He is a confident walker, and craves his independence, so I am coming to terms with backing off a little.  I have the feeling this will be a continual readjustment; the balance between protecting Ezra and giving him the opportunity to grow and stretch.

This is me trying really hard not to be an overprotective helicopter mom.

0 comments: