Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Story-time Conversations

One of my favorite times with Ezra is story-time.  Typically, he sits on my lap and I set a little pile of books on one side of me; finished books go in a little pile on the other side of me.  Our "little pile" is usually about four quick books, appropriate for the attention span of an almost nine-month old.  Story-time regularly includes mommy/baby conversations that go something like this:

Mommy: (finishing a book) "The end.  That's the end of the story."  (Book closed and put in the done pile).

Ezra: (looking earnestly at the completed book).  "Um."

Mommy:  "We finished the book; it's all done."

Ezra:  "Um." (somewhat anxious, pats the book, looks at me).

Mommy:  "Do you want to read a new book?"  (I pat a new book in the other pile).

Ezra: "Um."  (reaches for a new book, pats it, looks at me).

Mommy:  "We'll read this one, okay?"  (I pick up a new book).

Ezra: "Um." (settles back into my lap and waits expectantly).


This little conversation pattern repeats for each finished book and each new book started.  Precious!

0 comments: