Monday, May 16, 2011

Book Nook

When Dallin received assurance of a new work rotation that would keep us local for another year, and would not require a move, we decided that we could start getting baby things. When the crib arrived I got a wild hair and in one day rearranged all but four pieces of furniture in the entire apartment to 1) make a place for the baby and 2) make some needed improvements. One of my favorite spaces now is this little book nook in the family room. Previously, the armchair was in our bedroom, and the end table and bookcases were in the dining room. There is something very comforting to me in a cozy armchair, a table holding a good lamp and a pile of books. When I was younger, books were some of my best friends. I was often found up a tree with a book in hand, perfectly content to have a bit of sky, a leafy view and reassuring words. One of my earliest memories of my second year of preschool was the "reading pit", a sunken area in one of the corners of the classroom filled with pillows and books. My mom was a collector of picture books and I was favored as a youth by her convenient hobby. My fifth grade teacher, Mrs. Braun, read aloud to our class every Friday and the sound of her voice recounting the exciting adventure of Brian in Hatchet remains a strong memory. Much to my parent's dismay, I would sometimes find a book so captivating that sleep was postponed in order the finish the next chapter (or three). Falling asleep with the light on at 2:00 am, book in hand, was a frequent occurrence.
I look forward to sharing that love for a good book with my children. Perhaps without realizing it, I created this space in anticipation of cuddle time and story time with them.

4 comments:

Sara said...

Haha! That was my life as a child, too, and for the first time in a long time, I found myself reading until 2 and 3 in the morning a few months ago -- I just really got into this book and could not put it down! :)

I think your book nook is lovely. I think that's how children become curious and learn how to learn -- by reading at a young age, by watching their parents read, and by being surrounded by books. So way to go! You haven't even had the baby yet, and you're already a fantastic mother! :)

Anonymous said...

First, crazy woman. Are you supposed to be moving furniture????

Second, we are very much alike. I climbed trees and read--two favorites of my entire childhood. I got really tricky with hiding my reading: under the covers or even under the bed with a flashlight, in a fort, blankets piled in front of the gap between door and carpet.... ;o) My parents would come in and check on me, I'd pretend to be sound asleep, open book buried under one of the fifty stuffed animals who shared my bed. As soon as they were gone, my hand with the flashlight would come out, searching for the book and continue till I either fell asleep or had come to a satisfying stopping point.

In other news, I love ya!

Jane said...

Books are awesome. Our problem has always been how to fit them all in the space we have. There's never enough.

Brooke said...

Your little one will LOVE a book corner. We have one up in Mason's room and one down in the living room so he can access books whenever he wants. I'm surprised at how often he prefers books to other forms of entertainment!