Thursday, November 18, 2010

Her Labor of Love

Some of my current "nesting" activities include sewing projects, and through these projects I have gained a whole new appreciation for my maternal grandmother's incredible quilting ability. My grandma made the quilt pictured here and intended it to be my wedding gift. Unfortunately, she didn't live long enough to give it to me at that happy event. Shortly before she passed away, she gave it to my mom, who gave it to me while I was still single. Instead of a gift to celebrate my new life as a married woman, it became a beautiful treasure to remember her earth life.
I have been making new pillows for the living room. The design I chose is simple, just four squares on the front and a solid color on the back. I consider it a small triumph if all my corners match up. I made a picnic blanket from old blue jeans this summer and I had a victory dance every time I finished a row. So, it is with great awe that I consider my grandma sewing together hundreds of little pieces in such an intricate design. I have not ventured beyond squares--and for good reason! Her quilt pattern included pieces of fabric just 1" by 1.5" that all had to be cut and arranged and sewn together. And all this was done while she was battling cancer. For my grandma, quilting was truly a labor of love. Grandma was never very good at saying how she felt, but her quilt was the way she could show how she loved me. I am so grateful for her.

1 comments:

Jane said...

That is AMAZING work. I do not have that talent and I am so impressed by those who do.
Share some pictures of your pillows!