Saturday, September 12, 2009

Do you hear the [music play]?

The first home football game is today, a night game against South Carolina that starts at 7 pm. Interestingly enough, this weekend is also the Athens Stake Conference and the adult session starts tonight at--you guessed it--7 pm. Do you suppose this is a test? A question of priorities, perhaps? I am not too sorry to be missing the game and all the rabble-rousing that I have heard goes on here, BUT I am a little disappointed to be missing the marching band.
During orientation week when I was wandering around campus I heard the drum line (and the accompanying echo) from far off and experienced this strange Pied-Piper type of attraction. I found myself straightening up, shoulders back, head high, arms erect (as if my clarinet were in my hands), and I started marching time. I was completely oblivious to the people around me; my complete attention was riveted on that drum beat. And then for more than a block, I marched forward drawing ever closer to that beautiful sound. Toes pointed to the sky, rolling through from heel, gliding, floating across the sidewalk until I found them.
I was transformed back to the football field at East High standing at attention, eyes locked on the drum major, awaiting her arms to come up and start counting time. "1-and-2-and-3..." and I start playing those descending eighth notes in quick succession as we introduce the music of Les Miserables to the crowd of spectators. Playing with all my clarinet power during "Do You Hear the People Sing?", with reverance during "Bring Him Home", with longing during "I Dreamed A Dream". Or to the parade marches during Homecoming week, or the summer marching band camp rehearsals in rural Iowa engulfed in fog. Hmmm...good memories.

1 comments:

Jane said...

Classy band! Our marching band plays Thriller and The Simpsons theme song among others.