Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Class time, down time, free time, in between time...

...is spent here in the studio. Each student in the program has their own drafting board table and cubbies for keeping supplies like chartpak markers, drafting pens, drawing pencils, circle templates, eraser shields, engineer and architect scale rulers, T-squares, 45 and 30-60-90 degree triangles, colored pencils, vellum, rolls of tracing paper...etc. The program is very art/design intensive and right now it is very abstract and conceptual. It won't be until year two that we start applying our design skills to actual landscape design projects. In my studio class I am doing different black and white compositions and building projects using the principles of design. In my graphics class I am learning the "quick-and-dirty" method of making a landscape design look good on paper. We have been learning perspective drawing and how to communicate different design elements in plan view (the bird's eye view, looking down on a landscape from overhead). It takes ALOT of time, but it is really exciting to be given license to be creative and call it classwork or homework.
Today I am grateful for the start of September...autumn is coming, my favorite!

2 comments:

CL said...

It's so fun to see where you're spending your time now! One more reason I couldn't do horticulture (besides all the dead plants)- art and I never got along well :-) Glad you're enjoying it!

Jane said...

Totally bringing back all my memories from school - your studio is way nicer though, and no beer can pyramids.