Sunday, October 12, 2014

Family Focus

General Conference is such a perfect way to welcome October.  I had been craving the wealth of prophetic instruction since early September.  I think I included some form of "And I am so excited/anxious/looking forward to Conference"...and "I love the Prophet" in every personal and family prayer for at least three weeks.  After all my talk, excitement, and prepping, Ezra was ready, and well acquainted with the concept of watching the Prophet on the television.  The dynamic is different when watching Conference with little people; I have learned not to expect too much.  Saturday afternoon Ezra was so done with being indoors, and we took a 45-minute bike ride/walk to a park and back during the latter half of the afternoon session.

For me, the tone of conference seemed to be one of establishing and maintaining a solid commitment to the doctrines of the gospel, the Prophet, and the Lord Jesus Christ.  Sunday afternoon was an incredible session for me; so many of the messages felt very personal and meaningful.  I know what I need to do!  I love personal revelation!

My sweet Ezra boy has needed extra love lately, and seems to be struggling with his confidence.  I am learning all the time how to nurture and strengthen my children, and I have never felt more keenly the need of heavenly help and enabling grace.  During the Sunday afternoon session of conference, the sweet children's song, "I Am A Child of God" was sung.  As the choir sang, I had a beautiful reminder and mental image from the Spirit that I am as much a child as Ezra, and that my plea is for my Heavenly Father to "lead me, guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way", so I can in turn lead, guide, and walk beside, and help my children.

Thanks to the counsel of some most excellent friends and little promptings from the Spirit, I have set up a board in our kitchen with our family focus, songs, scriptures to memorize, family rules, chores, and quotes from the Prophets.  Establishing a strong family, grounded on the gospel of Jesus Christ has felt so important lately.  I have ramped up my efforts in family gospel study.  Whenever possible Ezra, Maren and I have "lunch and learn", eating our lunch while we discuss simple doctrines from the Gospel ABC book I created a few years ago.  These are precious days!  "No other success can compensate for failure in the home."

I went to a Primary training meeting recently, and we discussed how the church is moving toward incorporating certain aspects of the youth "Come Follow Me" curriculum for the Primary children.  This coming January, when I start a new teaching year, I will have a brand new Primary lesson manual with lessons written in that manner.  The Lord truly is hastening his work.  What a wonderful time to be on the earth.

2 comments:

Jane said...

General Conference was amazing. It always amazes me how the Spirit works so 50 people can hear 50 different things from the same talk.
I have not heard about the new Primary lesson manuals though - got to get on that one quick!

Anonymous said...

As I sat in the Baraboo Ward Nursery last Sunday I had an epiphany prompting that this was the most important class in the building that day because so much incredible change and learning was taking place in these 18 month-3 year old lives.