Monday, March 17, 2014

Teamwork

From my perspective as a daughter, I believe my parents strengthened unity in their marriage by working on projects together.  I found that endearing as a child in their home, and it inspires me now as a young married person.  I appreciate that both my mom and my dad brought a unique set of talents and abilities to the table, and then found ways to pool their resources to make something greater.  I see evidence of those efforts in both physical, tangible things, and in emotional and spiritual ways as well. 

Dallin and I have been working on a project together, and I have found a lot of satisfaction in what our combined efforts can contribute.  In our family room, we have a vertically short, horizontally long wall, which tended to become a clutter zone with no real purpose.  After some brainstorming, we decided it needed some kind of shelf, and might be a good place to store toys.  We soon discovered that because of the odd dimensions (82" long x 24" tall x 16" deep), and a return air vent that couldn't be blocked, nothing we could buy at a store would fit the space.  So, I studied the wall again, and drew up my own plan.  And then we bought wood, had it cut, learned a little about wood construction and assembly, and made our own custom toy cubby.  Dallin marked and drilled all the holes because he is more accurate and disciplined about exactness than I am.  I sanded and sawed because my mommy arms are more in shape for endurance exercises.  Teamwork was required in the assembly.  When the weather warms up, we can take it outside to be painted.  It was such a great project!  Ezra loves the special toy bins, the area stays very tidy, it fills the space perfectly, and sweet husband and I did it together! 

Next on the list: vegetable garden.

1 comments:

Jane said...

Cute solution!
Were the verticals already there?
(I am curious about the air duct though.)