Tuesday, March 18, 2014

More Vegetables, Please

One of my lesser goals for 2014 is to cook two vegetarian meals per week for dinner.  It is more of a personal challenge with several purposes: 1) save money on the food budget 2) broaden and diversify our palettes for different foods 3) keep my kitchen time from getting too monotonous and 4) eat more roughage.  Thus far, it has been great fun.  I think we have eaten a wider variety of foods, and I have enjoyed the puzzle of "What's for dinner?" with my new requirements.

In the process, I have discovered that Ezra--lover of almost no vegetables--adores fresh steamed broccoli.  He will eat half the bowl, if given the opportunity.  I have also discovered that I adore kale.  I never dreamed something so raw and curly and stiff could taste so delectable.  Recently, I coarse-chopped some kale, threw it in a skillet with olive oil and garlic, tossed it until it started to wilt and turn a gorgeous deep green color, sprinkled some salt on it, and tried hard to leave some for Dallin.

Here are some of my favorite recent vegetarian fixes: 
Butternut Squash Lasagna
Lentil-Barley Burgers with Fiery Fruit Salsa
Creamy Parsnip Soup
Vegetarian Korma
Vegetable Lasagna (Pioneer Woman)
Curried Carrot Soup
Gnocchi with Squash and Kale

So, I am still new at this, and I am running out of yummy ideas.  Any suggestions?    

3 comments:

Ruth said...

I don't have any specific suggestions right now (though I'll think about it, because I don't eat a lot of meat--but my brain has already gone to sleep; I'll have some for you sometime).
But I do have a more general suggestion. This is from my sister in-law, when she started trying to do more vegetarian meals. She got several cookbooks (from the library) for world cuisine. Not surprisingly, most of the world does more vegetarian than the typical American (person or cookbook). So she found a lot of fun, different dishes. Might be a place to explore.
(I always enjoy different beans and chilis.)

Jane said...

I'm all about the Internet when it comes to new recipes. Finding, sorting, reviewing.
I'm a big fan of salads with unusual elements in them. Goat cheese, fruits, etc.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thank you for the luscious list of recipes.
We became great fans of all things vegetable in China where many kinds of vegetables are 88% of most meals. I was so happy to see kale and bok choy in the produce section of King Soopers when we returned from China. Um-m good!