Thursday, August 23, 2012

To China with Love

I hate goodbyes.

This morning we took my in-laws to the airport to begin their China teaching adventure.  Saying goodbye to them was much harder than I anticipated, and I have spent most of the morning crying.  As soon as I start to pull myself together, something will trigger new tears.  Like noticing that Ezra had grandma's lipstick kisses on his cheeks.  Or walking past the dark and quiet basement stairwell, which, over the last few days, had been the China-packing-Grand-Central-Station.  Or setting the kitchen table for two, not four. 

I said a ten-month goodbye, and the time will certainly go by faster than I expect.  Ten-months isn't so long, and there will be plenty of electronically-facilitated interactions in the meantime.  But, I will miss the daily face-to-face interactions.  The sociality between parents and children and grandparents and grandchild have been precious.  Ezra has been especially keen to the extra love and attention.

I am grateful for this special house-sitting opportunity.  I am grateful for my in-law's generosity.  And, I am grateful that in ten months we can see each other again.  

  




0 comments: