Friday, August 10, 2012

Lifelong Migration

At day's end, more often than not, I have not accomplished many tasks.  Rarely can I look back over the day with a satisfied smile and see the evidence of finished projects.  I do not often cross off a daily to-do list item as completely done.  It has been rather disconcerting to see my apparent lack of productive, measurable activity.  I have found myself questioning my ability to complete anything.

Last night, after some pondering and processing, I realize that this dilemma has much to do with my stage in life.  I think I am beginning to understand (and accept) that accomplished, and finished, and done are not the only measure of success.  I have found comfort in recognizing my progress, and appreciating the process.  For me, the words desire, and attitude, and direction are more meaningful and encouraging in my daily efforts, especially as a wife and mother.  My days are filled with teaching, playing, talking, and trying to build more meaningful human relationships.  These efforts are never done.  Prayer and scripture study are the bookends to each day; they are the long-term never-finished habits that are more about righteous desire and consistency than completion.   

In my pondering, I found great encouragement in several comments from the May 2012 (General Conference) Ensign magazine.  Elder Quentin L. Cook gave an outstanding address titled, "In Tune with the Music of Faith."  I love the idea of being "in tune."  As I watch Dallin warm-up and prepare for a violin performance, he always tunes his instrument.  Most of the time, his instrument is not too far off from the piano note, but some minor tweaking is usually required.  In my daily efforts, I also need minor tweaking to stay "in tune"; and my tuning is a constant endeavor.  Every day I need to refresh my efforts in order to stay in tune with the music of faith.  I appreciate the idea of daily course corrections as a measure of success.  Elder Cook emphasizes maintenance and diligence rather than accomplishment and arrival.

Elder Neil L. Andersen taught, "Jesus's call 'Come, follow me' is not only for those prepared to compete in a spiritual Olympics.  In fact, discipleship is not a competition at all but an invitation for all.  Our journey of discipleship is not a dash around the track, nor is it fully comparable to a lengthy marathon.  In truth, it is a lifelong migration toward a more celestial world." 

0 comments: