Thursday, February 9, 2012

Compelling Reason

A number of years ago, one of my co-workers discovered I was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He had heard a little about the Mormons from his Baptist preacher and asked what we believed. I was a little unsure of his level of genuine interest after that kind of introduction, so I began with some basic things. I told him that we pay 10% of our income annually as tithing to the church. I explained that we abstain from coffee, tea, alcohol, tobacco, and drugs. I told him about the law of chastity, our Sabbath day observance, and our humanitarian and missionary efforts around the world.

When I finished, he replied matter-of-factly, "Oh, so you are just good people."

And, by that brief definition, he was exactly right. Unfortunately, he and I never finished our conversation. He was called away to another work assignment, and shortly thereafter left the company. The fact is, a great majority of people across the globe are "good people", by that definition. I have had friends of other faiths who--for religious or personal reasons--paid tithes, abstained from harmful, addictive substances, lived the law of chastity, worshiped on the Sabbath, and were charitable and compassionate to their neighbors.

I have been bothered by that conversation all these years because, in my view, it was an unfinished conversation. If given the opportunity again, I would have started with The Book of Mormon. As "another testament of Jesus Christ" and a companion book of scripture to the Bible, it is the compelling reason we are unique among all other religions. The Book of Mormon is a record of holy scripture that chronicles the dealings of God with the people in the Americas over a period of roughly 1000 years. It clarifies the doctrine of Christ, the plan of salvation, and our purpose in mortality. It is additional evidence that God continues to speak to his children. The Book of Mormon is filled with references to Jesus Christ as received through his ordained prophets on the earth.

"Good people" is certainly nothing to be ashamed of, in fact, I am grateful to be seen in that light. But, there is more to the story. Along with being good people, we are also covenant-keeping people. The Book of Mormon contains, in clear terms, the nature of the covenants we make. Faith in Jesus Christ, who is so plainly revealed in The Book of Mormon, is the reason we desire to make and keep our covenants. My personal testimony of the truthfulness of The Book of Mormon reinforces my efforts to honor my covenants.

2 comments:

Jane said...

Next time I see you, remind me to tell you the joke about Mormons and heaven.

Ruth said...

I too wish I could go back in time and finish many a conversation. How I wish I could share and testify of Christ; not just the fruits of Christ's gospel, but of Jesus Christ as our Savior and how we follow him. The problem was, I didn't necessarily understand then. But I do now and it makes me wish... Good news? (like your other blog post): I try to learn from the past and do better now!