Thursday, September 30, 2010

Plant Nerd Gets a New Pet

My little plant collection grew by one when Dallin (the sweet) gave me a birthday orchid. It is of the Cattleya species, cultivar Haiwaiian Thrill 'Paradise'. I think we will call her Catty for short. This is a young plant, so it may take up to a year before she blooms the first time, but when she does, it will be a vibrant orange with a red lip and very fragrant. The bloom should look something like this:
Catty gets some pretty posh treatment here. A nice sunny window, vitamin water, and other plant friends, like Aloe (who is nice, but can seem a bit prickly on first impression), and African Violet, (who is content, as long as there is no water on her leaves). And Dallin, who supplies regular entertainment and companionship. This morning he danced for the plants. Adorable.

3 comments:

Jane said...

How did I not know when your birthday was? These are the things one shares with one's family so they can send you presents.

Rocketgirl said...

I love orchids!! I got one for Mother's Day a bit ago, but I killed it, kind of accidentally. I think it was too much pressure... I can barely keep kids alive and fed! But I'm thinking I want to try it again. My dad's sister always has an orchid on her kitchen table and it makes a home feel posh to me.

PLEASE capture the plant dancing on video!!!

Boo said...

What a lovely gift. Orchids are beautiful. I love that you name your plants. I can't wait to see future photos when it blooms.