Monday, January 18, 2010

My Matchless Match

I remember watching and loving Fiddler on the Roof as a young girl. It is such a magical story, a microcosm for the drama played out in any family in any age: relationships, traditions, hardship, joy, pain, hopes for the future, change, resolution, uncertainty, plans, and new beginnings.
Now I resonate with the film on another level; I have a whole new appreciation for the quirky, good-intentioned matchmaker Yente. Why, you ask? Because my life has been forever changed by my modern-day Yente, for my matchmaker who had the ingenuity, insight, and inspiration to bring Dallin and I together.
It is truly miraculous to me to think that this drama has been playing out since about 2002. The careful coordination of people and places and things is marvelous to consider. Who would have thought that through a college roommate and my connection to her family, I would eventually find my eternal companion?
I never dreamed that I would move to Georgia after school, but geography had much to do with this happy ending. I never dreamed that I could be smitten after one weekend, but the chemistry of an amazing smile and fantastic fiddling worked wonders on me. I never dreamed we could see each other again just two weeks after our intial meeting, but the stars aligned and astronomy was our friend. I never dreamed that a romance could be played out over the internet, but enter technology and believe the unbelieveable. I never dreamed that saying yes could feel so right, so peaceful, but embrace faith in Jesus Christ and it does.
Heaven be thanked for my modern-day matchmaker. And for sweet answers to prayers, and tender mercies, and for the culmination of all that I had hoped for in one tall and handsome Kermity package. How can I ever show sufficient gratitude to my Father in Heaven for helping me find my matchless match?

For your viewing pleasure, "Matchmaker, Matchmaker" from Fiddler on the Roof:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59Hj7bp38f8

6 comments:

Ruth said...

:)

Jane said...

A little bit of that miracle was you being so sweet and talented and fun enough for him to fall in love with you. I am constantly amazed that it is a small world after all.
(Remind me to discuss that movie with you at some point - I love it too - and I got to see Topol live on stage.)

Anna said...

Did I mention that I almost didn't move into your apartment? When I looked at it, someone (can't remember who) told me that you all already had someone that was going to move in. I still felt like that is where I should move. I'm glad it worked out. (Dallin, she is an amazing roommate. Up until a couple of months ago when my alarm clock broke, I still had a little note taped to it that she wrote for me. I wouldn't let Danny take it off, even when it became "his" alarm clock. Ha.)

Thanks for sharing your joy with me (and others who read this). It made my day. And I am happy that we will be related...well, sort of.

Anna said...

PS- Did someone tell you that we've got home videos of you in it from when we were roommies? We found them after we talked to you guys on the phone. You'll have to see them.

Rocketgirl said...

Heehee.. reminds me of a lovely evening in the Jewish quarter of Krakow, Poland where we were listening to the klezmer, getting immersed in the culture, when out of nowhere, Dallin perked up and exclaimed - "I feel Jewish!"

Phat Fiddle said...

I remember that night like it was yesterday and I still feel Jewish. Mazel Tov!