Thursday, January 14, 2010

Conversation with a lady

This morning when I woke up, I found a ladybug on the lampshade in my bedroom; a curious specimen to find alive and kicking in January. I was immediately inquisitive:
"Where did you come from?"
"Why are you here?"
"Where are you going?"
(no reponse.)
Perhaps, thought I, she was on her way to visit her Aunt Amelia in the neighboring mulch pile and she went left instead of right and ended up very lost on a lampshade? Poor thing, no one likes to be lost.

Or perchance she is just an adventurous spirit? Dissatisfied with the same old blade of dormant grass and the underside of the senescing oak leaf, she packed her bags and bid her apprehensive parents adieu? Little lady, welcome to a whole new world!

Maybe she is merely opportunistic and heard of warm, well-lit rooms and unoccupied lamp shades for sunbathing.

Or is this little lady lonely? In search of true love on a lamp shade? May I speak from experience my spotted friend, love can find you in the most interesting places.

I know! She is an insomniac without the hibernation gene and has gone a wandering to keep from being bored to tears while her 87 brothers and sisters sleep. I don't speak ladybug, little one, but can I admire your spots and watch you walk and offer you my lampshade for as long as you care to stay?

3 comments:

Jane said...

You are quite entertaining yourself lady. I would not reccomend a lampshade as a place for long term residence however. Temperature fluctuation is a bear.

Melanie said...

Apparently we have a few ladybugs around here! I have had some in my room too, but I just decided to let them hang out.

Phat Fiddle said...

This is precious. Kudos for drawing me in so effortlessly to live a day-in-the-life of a ladybug :)