Sunday, August 23, 2009

Big Little Brother


This post has been a long time in coming, since this summer in fact, and has been reinforced half a dozen times by little observations in various settings. I have been most impressed by my brother Jared and his wife, Sarah and feel that a little post about them is much overdue.
It is funny the way life turns out--never quite like you planned. I never expected that my younger brother, for example, would get married before I did. Not to say that there is anything wrong with that, it just wasn't in the plan. I count my blessings, though, that I am in the stage of life that I am in and rather free to come and go and visit with individual family members. One of the really sweet parts of spending time with the family is seeing the way that Jared and Sarah have developed in their marriage.
This summer I captured a picture of them together in the front of one of the rafts we took down the river and was impressed by the symbolic meaning of it. (Sorry, if this is too much, you can stop reading now). I see them anxiously pursuing a future that will include rough water, sharp turns, rocks, and unanticipated turbulence, but the fact that they are moving and doing and becoming together, come what may, is very encouraging to me. I also see them having some fabulous and uniquely personal experiences as a couple that will bless and shape their marriage in positive ways.
Jared and Sarah planted a garden this summer in their backyard and it has been (and continues to be) incredibly productive. They have tended it with diligent care and have yielded bushels of zucchini, peas, beans, cucumbers, radishes, and I am sure by now some peppers and tomatoes. As a sister and a horticulturist this is MOST exciting, but even more exciting is their desires toward good things that are done as a couple and of seeing the fruits of their labors by working together.
I am encouraged. I am proud. And I am taking note of the good example of my big little brother.

1 comments:

Jane said...

How can you put up a post like that and not include the picture?!

P.S. I AM the sister-in-law of Dallin. Sorry to have been a blog stalker for so long. Sometimes I forget what my commenting name comes up as. Good to "meet" you finally.