Friday, July 31, 2009

Chapter One, Page One

Fraulein Maria liked to say, "When God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window." My window view is looking very classical, which is fitting considering "the classic city" is soon to be home. About a month ago I made a quick in-and-out visit and captured some stylistic features of a few of the older buildings on campus. My little foray prompted a dusting off of once-known architecture terminology...fun words like entabulature, architrave, dentils, plinth, and fluting. The campus has quite an array of orders, which I think can be identified as Ionic, Corinthian, and Greek Doric, respectively (corrections or affirmations are welcome!) The university was chartered in 1785, the oldest in the country, and my particular building is in the original north campus amongst equally ancient sprawling oak trees. It is comforting to be approaching all this newness with plenty of history as a foundation.

0 comments: