Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Cardinal Virtue

The Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) has a beautiful clear voice that starts early in the morning. Without seeing the flit of red feathers I know a cardinal is nearby because of its song. It seems to be saying to me, "Be of good cheer. Be of good cheer." I suppose you can hear what you want to hear in that four syllable song. I suppose you could hear, "Eat your broccoli" or "Take out the trash", but the point is, I choose to hear an encouraging message. Choosing to be of good cheer, choosing to hear the message of good cheer in little things and having the confidence that life offers things to be cheerful about is the high road...a cardinal virtue.

1 comments:

Jane said...

That is one thing I miss in The Jungle - we don't get a lot of bird songs, unless you count the pidgeons squawking as they fight over the last french fry in the bag.