Saturday, March 21, 2009

Still A Monkey

My first thought as I sit to comment on these photos is a rebuke of Margaret Dashwood, the youngest of three daughters of that family from the Jane Austen novel, Sense and Sensibility, and subsequently made into a movie in 1995 (screenplay by Emma Thompson). Margaret is rebuked in these words, "That child must run positively wild, she is always up trees and under furniture." Perhaps I have run a little wild enjoying very much being "up trees."
Here is a little day-in-the-life of me doing one of my favorite things. I would guess that these trees are somewhere in the neighborhood of 65-70' tall and fabulous to climb. (Yes, I do have climbing gear and I am strapped in and very secure). These bald cypresses (Taxodium distichum) were in need of some pruning and my fellow co-worker, Elvidio, and I were happy to do the work. The work (or play as I would call it) needed was to remove any dead, diseased, crossing, or broken branches and do a general thinning just for good tree aesthetics. These photos were taken sort of unexpectedly by a missionary couple out on a walk who happen to always carry a camera with them. Their comment as they started snapping pictures of us was, "You never know what you might see out on a walk, best to keep a camera with you, just in case."
On this lovely day in February it was two monkeys.


2 comments:

Jane said...

I love that you use Jane Austen to lead into a story about logging!

Ruth said...

Funny that you have tree pictures just now. I was thinking about your tree climbing contest (I think it was you; it may have been Adrienne, but I'm almost certain it was you) because Whitney just left to go to the Landscaping competition (whatever it's called). A few months ago he was describing it to me--I assured him I knew all about it from you. :)