Thursday, March 26, 2009

Glorious Spring!

Here is just a sampling of Atlanta loveliness this time of year. The first Daffodils and Crocus start blooming in early February and by March things are in a fast and furious succession of blooming. Almost every day I come to work I can SEE the difference in leaf size or number of opened buds or flowers blooming. I love it!
Here are some of my favorite bulbs so far this year:
  • Daffodil 'Jetfire': early blooming minature, with orange cup and yellow petals.
  • Daffodil 'Tahiti': mid-season double blooming with hints of orange in the layers
  • Daffodil 'Salome': mid to late blooming with an orange-pink cup and white petals
  • Tulipa 'Purple Prince': early blooming short tulip that lasts a LONG time (for a tulip, anyway)
  • Tulipa 'Retro Mix': yellow, orange, white mix, mid-season blooming
    And then there are always surprises, like the tulip close-up picture (white with magenta striping) it is the only one on the whole property and was probably mixed into a batch by accident. Quite a beauty. I wish I knew its name!

1 comments:

Jane said...

I miss daffodils - I don't think we have them in The Jungle. They're so pretty.