Friday, January 8, 2016

New Year

I love the sentiments involved with a new year, and truly feel a new desire every January 1st to try again, make a better effort, recommit, and start fresh.  This year I knew what my goals for the year would be in late November, and had them written, posted and started on the first day of the year.

Because I am a Primary teacher, a new year also can mean a new class assignment.  For the last two years I have been with the same class, which includes one sweet, severely autistic non-verbal boy.  Based on a lengthy conversation with the Primary president, I felt certain that I would continue on one more year with that same group of kids.  Toward the end of last year, our class had a terrific established routine in class that was working great.  Everyone was happy and learning, and I felt successful.  To my great surprise, the last Sunday in December I received my 2016 Primary binder with a new assignment--Sunbeam teacher!  I was completely surprised, and delighted.  So, my Primary experience this year will be all new.  I am a little rusty though; the last time I taught a Sunbeam class was when my now 23-year sister Kristen was three...

One of my students from the previous Primary class, a cute boy named Elliot, brought me cookies and this hand-written note after we had our last class.  We had our ups and downs in class, but his note made me feel like the ride was all worth it!

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Oh, that's sweet. I love Primary! And I'm excited for your new assignment. You'll be a wonderful Sunbeam teacher!

Jane said...

As a Primary leader, let me tell you how wonderful it is to have a teacher who shows up, cares, loves her calling and follows the manual! Sunbeams will be so fun. I am jealous.
You are undoubtedly the best Primary teacher ever.